[Ansteorra] first events and personna

Donna Nesbit themaefare at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 10:46:45 PDT 2006

Greetings all,

  I have been catching up on the posting.  I was very behind.

  My first event was Twelfth Night at Torre de los Brazos.  I was attending because a foreign exchange student, a friend of the family, wanted to attend.  I was not sure of "these people" so he, I, and my three teenage children were going.  I was informed that we needed garb and feast gear a few days before the event.  The exchange student had garb, so I quickly made tunics for my sons and a skirt for my daughter and a dress for me.
  The day of the event I grabbed my picnic basket (er-feast gear) and dressed and went to the event.  Upon arrival, I realized that my dress was more 1800s than 1300s, but everyone that I talked to was very welcoming and understanding.  Time came for feast and members started pulling out beautiful glass, wooden, and pottery dishes as I pulled out my red, white, and blue melame picnic ware.  Again, many commented on my unique feast gear and some asked where they could obtain such marvelous things.
  One group, I think they came from Seawinds, was dressed in identical garb (blue-Musketeerish) garb.  One of them told a story of what a gentleman would do when unexpectedly coming upon a woman in her bath.  That group was my first hint of people playing personna (and I was hooked).
  That was January of 1992 and I have been playing ever since as time and money allow.  Unfortunately, Torre ceased to exist during one of my periods of absence.  Our area is large and even though it is near several groups, it is also rather isolated.  Because of my fond memories of Torre and because I wanted to play nearer home, I have contacted other local people and we are trying to reform Torre.  I have been pleased with the support that we have been given thus far.
  Thus the dream continues.

  Penelope Miriam Darling of Torre de los Brazos