[Ansteorra] in reference to the welding request

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:06:49 PDT 2007

Wow, I got a lot more replies than I expected! It seems
we have a lot of welders around here. My project is
still kind of in the design stage and someone suggested
a blacksmith may be more of what I'm looking for. But
I'd like to get with maybe a group of people interested
in building a proper Medieval open fire spit and have
several in Ansteorra. I guess it goes back to that "us
looking more period" thing.

So, I'll be working on plans and maybe finalize something
with welders and/or blacksmiths in the Dallas area and
have an afternoon when we can work on it.

The basic design is for a spit shaped rather like a sawhorse
with the center horizontal beam supported by two legs
at each end (kind of making a triangle when viewed on
edge, like I said, a sawhorse). On on side of the legs
hooks are attached going down and on these hooks small
spits are laid to roast birds, sausages, etc...
Under the spits will be a drip pan, preferably tinned.

If you are interested in helping make one or would like
to make one on your own and have questions, please let
me know and I'll try to get something arranged.

Yers,

Gunthar