[Ansteorra] Seeking information: Order of the Knights of the Sable Garland

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 15 12:32:49 PDT 2007

Your Grace,

While I respect your words and your opinion very highly, I don't
understand how an order that lifts up a select, remarkable few of our
kinsmen, somehow diminishes you or yours. Nor have I personally ever
heard anyone say they didn't like or approve of the Order of the
Sable Garland, until now.

I agree with you that "it would be nice for the populace to have a
way to spotlight people that truly do a good job as a proper peer."
On the other hand, we *do* have several ways to do that. The Crown
can grant an Augmentation of Arms (and has done so upon occasion).
The Crown or the Populace can simply say "thank you", or hold a "So-
and-so Appreciation Day" event. Or, as you suggest, there could be an
order created for this sort of recognition, an order for "simple
Knights" whose candidates would be put forth by the populace (or the
Chivalry) and selected by the Crown. I see nothing wrong with that,
and invite/encourage you to see it done.

I'm sorry that the dream fulfilled by the Order of the Sable Garland
does not fulfill your *own* dream, but please don't knock it just
because it doesn't. To quote an old, old saying: "Please don't
shorten my line; lengthen your own."

With utmost respect,
Michael Silverhands