[Ansteorra] Looking for a Source for "but it ben of withies wrought"

Kelandra Carmichael Kelandra_C at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 14 09:39:08 PDT 2007

Well that sounds like she is saying that the green garland was made of
'withies' which is as far as I know is an European English term for a type
of thin strong willow saplings used as flexible construction materials. The
term is also sometimes used to describe any type of flexible rod used in
crafting such as hazel or ash saplings. Usually found as thatching, in
garden construction, or woven into baskets.

I know a story about "steeping the withies". When told to me a long time ago
was about a young Scottish man and his wife who became hosts to a couple of
unexpected guests from a rival clan who meant to do them harm and so the
husband used the excuse of steeping the withies to leave the cottage and get
the upperhand on the villains. Steeping the withies means to soak them in
water so they become more pliable before use. So when your in a Scottish
household and you here the host say "it's time to steep the withies" that is
to serve as a signal that it is time for you to leave.

As for waeving garlands out of withies:
http://www.standingstones.com/irishem.html

http://www.theoi.com/Text/NonnusDionysiaca11.html

Kindly,