[Ansteorra] The Siege of Malta

David Backlin edrei at smythkepe.org
Thu Aug 9 06:23:04 PDT 2007

As the sun rose, the horizon filled with white sails emblazoned with the
Sultan's red crescent, and the Great Siege of Malta began. The invaders were
confident that they would soon defeat the small band of islanders...are YOU
ready?

It's the Siege of Malta at Mid Summer Knight's Dream August 31-Sept 3 in
Smythkepe.  Amir Rashid ibn Hilal will lead the Turkish invaders while His
Royal Highness of Gleann Abhann, Sir Uther von Ziemer, will lead Malta's stalwart defenders.

If that's not enough excitement for you, we offer the return of Cast Iron
Chef (aka Siege Cooking), Heavy Weapons combat including a Town Battle,
Woods Battle, Bridge Battle and lots more. Plus the return of Friday night Boffer Dagger duels!

For Rapier Fighters we have Corsairs vs. Privateers in the Ship Battle, Maltese vs Ottomans in the Town Battle, the Batttle of St Elmo... plus the return of the Flux Tournament.  And let's not forget: Youth Combat!!

This years MSKD also features Siege Engines in a target shoot, Arts & Sciences activities revolving around the theme of "Helping the Siege" (lighting, record keeping [scrolls] ,  entertainment... even recycling. Plus open A&S.

The Smythkepe Herb Guild will sponsor a competiton for period first aid techniques while our MOC will assist children in making their own Trojan Horses for a War Point.

You want classes? We have classes: Regalia making, Brewing of Beer of the Root (aka Root Beer),  Period non-Alcoholic beverages (well, it IS a Dry Site, after all) and more.

Yes, there will be merchants too... with a War Point for shopping!!

Of course, it wouldn't be MSKD without a Quest!  Test your knowledge and skills and earn a War Point.  Seamas and Moira are being close-mouthed as usual, but they have said that each 8-person team must include at least one child under 12.

All this and more can be yours for the paltry sum of  just $15 for the full weekend.  Children 6-12 are only $10, while Children under 6 are Free.

Can't stay the whole weekend?  Daytrip is only $10  for Adults and Children 12 & over, while Children under 12 are Free.  Non-SCA Members please add $3.  To partake of Saturday Night's Siege Feast add $5.  In accordance  with Society Policy, no family shall pay more than 3 Adult fees provided all are paid members.

All other meals are included in the basic Site Fee.

There is plenty of room for camping with limited cabin space available for $5 per person for the weekend.

Where is this at, you ask? Why, none other than on the island of Malta! OK, not really.

Site is Rogers Scout Ranch, just a short distance from the thriving micropolis of Ione, AR.

Detailed driving directions and further updates can be found on our website: http://www.smythkepe.org/mskd.htm

Reservations may be sent to:

Shire of Smythkepe
P O Box 5505
Fort Smith, AR 72913

Please include SASE or e-mail address if you would like confirmation.

* Cash only will be accepted at Troll *

If you've never been to Smythkepe before: welcome!  If you have: welcome back! We look forward to seeing each and every one of you.