[Ansteorra] Food! Fight!

David Backlin edrei at smythkepe.org
Mon Aug 27 11:13:41 PDT 2007

You like food? You like fighting?  Get your fill of each this weekend at Mid
Summer Knight's Dream, the Siege of Malta. For foodies, we have the return
of Siege Cooking (aka Cast Iron Chef). This year, teams not compete amongst
themselves, but also for your palate. Each team will serve up to 8 people at
Saturday's feast. It may be Maltese style or it may be Turkish style.  The
winning team gets a a Warpoint. We will also have a group of trained
professionals slaving away in the kitchen to ensure all tables are properly
served.

For the fighters, we have both Heavy Weapons and Rapier Fighting.

For the Heavies, we herald the triumphant return of the Boar Hunt (no sorry,
Big Red will be elsewhere this weekend). Also, a town battle, woods battle,
bridge battle, gate battle... even a "landing" battle.

Rapier fighters will see the return of the Smythkepe Defender Tourney, as
well as  the Battle of St. Elmo (a fort melee),
Corsairs vs. Privateers (a ship battle), a capture the flag battle, a town
battle/melee (Defend Senglea!/Level Senglea!) and the return of the Flux
Tournament.

This year will also feature a Siege Weapons competition (sorry, no cattle or
other "live" ammunition allowed).

A&S competitons will feature the theme "Helping the Siege"  with competitons
in lighting, armor, entertainment, record keeping... even "recycling" (you
used your father's tunic to make what??)

Also, the Smythkepe Herb Group will be sponsoring a competition in "period
first-aid techniques".

Yes, of COURSE we will have a Quest. No, Seamas WON'T say what it's about.
Most of us know better than to even ask ;-)
This year's classes will include Regalia making, Brewing beer of the root
(root beer) , Period non-alcoholic beverages , Introduction to period
woodworking, Introduction to Sprang and Bead Making.

Lest we forget, there will also be a plethora of Children's Activities
including a class on  "What is a Siege?", making & decorating Trojan Horses
(for a Warpoint), Sponge Wars, a class on making making cut glass mosaics
and an Introduction to Weaving.

This year also features a Warpoint for shopping! So shop early, shop late
and support the Siege. (Attention Merchants: there are still a few spaces
remaining. Please write for details)

We also have a special treat for you at feast: entertainment will be
provided, in part, by the Grimfells Music Ensemble.

 And if you're wondering if you can afford this, fear not! For a mere $15
you can enjoy the full weekend of activities, Children ages 6-12 are only
$10. Children under 6 are free. Daytrip Saturday or Sunday is $10 for Adults
and Children & over. Non members please add $3 NMS to above prices.  Please
add $5 if you wish to partake of Saturday's Siege Feast.  At the request of
the Reservationist and Reeve, it will be CASH ONLY at the door.

This years site is again the Rogers Scout Ranch near Ione, AR

>From North and West (Ansteorra, Crystal Mynes, Oakheart, Red Dragon,
Grimfells)

Take your best route to I-40 Exit 7 (I-540 / US 71 South Van Buren/ Ft
Smith) . Follow I-540 to Exit 12 (US 71 South Texarkana).  Exit and turn
left (South) on US 71 and follow approx 30 miles to Arkansas 23 (there's a
Rest Area at the intersection).  Turn left (North) on AR 23 and follow
approx 6 miles to Boy Scout Road at Ione, AR (watch for a brown sign saying
Rogers Scout Reservation). Turn right (east) on Boy Scout Road and follow
the SCA signs to the site (approx 1 1/2 miles)

Oh, I've just been handed 2 final reminders:

(1) Please bring your feast gear for Saturday feast. "Disposable" feastgear
will not be available.
(2) Please remember this is a DRY SITE. Thank you in advance for respecting
this policy.

We look forward to seeing eveyone this weekend!