[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium article for December

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 9 19:47:02 PST 2007

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

If you have some ideas for articles that you currently can't find in
the Florilegium, please let me know and I'll add these to my list
which I will eventually post on the webpage, and perhaps someone will
write an article on one of those subjects.

If you have written an article for a newsletter or you have a class
handout or A&S paper, please send me a copy to possibly add to the
Florilegium. This way folks across the Known World can learn from the
work you've done. My preference is to get such items in Word or RTF
format since then they are easily adapted to the various formats
files are available in the Florilegium, but I can accept other formats.

Last month I got bounce messages from both people that I have
addresses for to forward this monthly article to the Trimaris list,
Baroness Adsiltia and Jacquetta Grimaldi. I would appreciate it if
someone would forward this message to the Trimaris list, and/or these
two people. Or if there is someone on that list who would like to
take over forwarding this monthly article there, please contract me.

Thanks,
    Stefan
------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past seventeen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
    hnd-fan-cnst-art     "Constructing an Ostrich Feather Fan"
                            by Lady Drueta de la Rosa.
In the BEVERAGES sectio
    fresh-juices-msg     Evidence for fresh fruit juices being used
                            in period for drinking and for cooking.
In the CHILDREN section:
    Childs-Seat-art      "A Child’s Seat" by Mistress Slaine ni
Chiarain.
In the CRAFTS section:
    BY-Blacksmith-art    "The Backyard Blacksmith" by Master Sven
Odin Eye.
    Working-Slate-art    "Working with Slate" by Master Sven Odin Eye.
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
    Banquet-Stufe-art    A review by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa of the book,
                            "Banquetting Stuffe", edited by C. Anne
Wilson.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
    lebkuchen-msg        Period lebkuchen cookies. Recipes.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    sandalwood-msg       Period Sandalwood, also known as Saunders.

Here are some of the updated files.
    blancmange-msg       A medieval rice dish composed principally of
                            rice, almond milk and chicken.
    merch-spices-msg     Spice merchants. Reviews and recommendations
    pilgrimages-msg      Medieval pilgrimages and pilgrims.
    spices-msg           Info. on spices, sources for spices.
    vanilla-msg          The vanilla bean in late-period Europe.
    veg-stuffed-msg      Period stuffed vegetable recipes.

In honor of the upcoming holiday season, I thought I'd also list a
few files having to do with this season.
    chestnuts-msg        Medieval harvesting and use of chestnuts.
                            Roasting. Recipes.
    Christmas-art        Medieval Christmas.
    Holiday-Celeb-lnks   Links to medieval holiday celebrations
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    holiday-gifts-lnks   Links to medieval holiday gifts
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    Jewsh-Holiday-art    "Jewish Holiday Traditions of the Sephardic
                            Peoples" by Lady Sindara Lind Rachael.
    St-Nicholas-art      Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
    T-H-Dreidel-art      "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady Meliora
                            Leuedai de Ardescote.
    wassail-msg          Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
    Wassail-Trad-art     "Wassail Traditions" by THL Johnnae llyn
Lewis, CE.
    Yule-msg             Yule celebrations.
    Xmas-art             "The True Meaning of Xmas".
---
Copyright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the
updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited
publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be
edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com