[Ansteorra] question for brewers

Elizabeth Crouchet elizabeth at crouchet.com
Mon Dec 10 10:31:17 PST 2007

Dave Wise wrote:
> Any recommendations for particular apples to grow for eventually turning
> into a hard cider?  Have some land near Brenham and wanted to plant a
> few trees, so figured I might as well produce something useful.
>
> Alexis
Fuji apples tend to be used for apple juice as they have large amounts
of sugars. They grow well in central Texas so they may do well in your
area as well.

You will need more than one kind of apple as they need to be cross
pollinated. You will need to make sure your two apples are compatible
and will grow in your area. Check with your area's local county
extension agent this is exactly the kind of question your tax dollars
pay them to answer. Be sure to ask them about antique varieties that may
work for this.

Good luck, and let me know what they say!

Claire