[Ansteorra] question for brewers

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:44:07 PST 2007

Salut cozyns,

A friend visiting from England some years ago complained that American-made hard ciders tend to be too watery and too sweet.  She said we use too many eating apples in our cider. The cider apples they use in the UK (and the rest of Europe, or that matter) are mostly inedible because of their high tannic acid and malic acid content. I don't know how difficult cider apples are to obtain here in Texas, but there's a lot of varietal information here:

http://ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_Apples
http://ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Fruit_Tree_Orchards_FAQ#What_makes_a_.27good_blend.27_of_apples_for_cider.3F

and here:

http://www.cider.org.uk/