[Ansteorra] OT, but not really...Current History...something to think about

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.com
Mon Dec 10 17:49:59 PST 2007

David Backlin wrote:

>My dad (81 y/o) doesn't talk about Pearl Harbor or Korea. I know he was a
>radio operator in the Navy, but I know little beyond that.
>
>Edrei the Quiet
>catching up on the weekend's mail

My father, likewise 81, has among others, the European Theater ,
Stateside Service, Pacific Theater, Japanese Occupation Service, Korean
Theater, and Viet Nam Service ribbons.
He was airborne in command of  a B-47 during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

He also flew WC130's for several years (Hurricane Hunter, Typhoon
Chaser)  a job Tom Clancy described as " being for those men to whom
mere physical danger is no longer exciting."

Of these, typhoon chasing was the only one he would talk about.

I once showed him a tape from the show "Wings" which demonstrated the
dropping of a 15,000 lb "Daisycutter".
His immediate response was "That's not how you do........." and then his
mouth slammed shut.
I suspect I will always wonder.

David Gallowglass