[Ansteorra] Question 2/22

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 06:00:15 PST 2007

> 1. In your opinion when is it appropriate to use Titles,
> Station, or Office on a list when signing an e-mail?

"It depends."

> 2. In your opinion when is it appropriate to list Household
> affiliation or Championships, etc on a list when signing an e-mail?

"It depends."

Really.

Lorraine, in my view it really does depend on too many factors for a
simple answer.
Some people tend to use standardized signature blocks on everything
because that is what they "grew up" believing was the norm, or the only
possibility allowed by their mailer software (more below).

As a general rule, I use one or two standard signature blocks for SCA
purposes -- plus less-formal variations for less-formal purposes.  (So
saith the Kitchen Idiot of sca-cooks list...)  Those standard blocks
include various titles & affiliations as a form of courtesy to others.

In my opinion, Championships probably should be listed primarily for
messages related to that champion's area of championship.
Household affiliations are more generally "acceptable" / innocuous /
neutral; rank within a household may be a matter of taste, or may be
strongly regulated by the household (how individual household members
follow such regulation may vary widely...)

Add to that the curious divide created by mailer software that varies so
drastically in capability:
* Can replies be set for top-posting, or is that only possible to avoid
manually? Do configuration options allow for the user to reposition or
even edit their automatic signature block?
<tip o' hat to Daniel de Lincoln, with obligatory grousing at MS
Outlook>

* Are multiple signature files / .sig blocks supported? <OK, Outlook is
my friend here...>

* Are default signatures automatically included by standard / "factory"
configuration?  Can the mailer software be set to automatically use
different signatures based upon the mailing list being sent to?

And sometimes we, as a general observation, may just be lazy or fail to
edit in / edit out bits and pieces of our normal signature practices for
any of ten thousand other reasons...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen