[Ansteorra] Children's clothing

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 12 22:39:19 PST 2007

HL Genevieve asked:
> New mom here.  What are some good sources for children's clothing
> in period?  I know it tended to be utilitarian (ie washable),
> especially early in life, but I have a new daughter who will need
> SCA clothes before long.  Please keep in mind I am an amateur,
> inexperienced seamstress on my best days. Thanks for any help!

Well, the comments in this file in the CHILDREN section of the
Florilegium might be useful:
child-clothes-msg (32K)  6/ 6/00    Period and SCA children's clothing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-clothes-msg.html

I also have a good article on making children's clothing for SCA use
by Mistress Ælflæd of Duckford.
Chld-Costumes-art. "Children's Costumes at SCA Events - a personal
testimonial" by Mistress Ælflæd of Duckford.

I'm afraid I've had some trouble getting the formatting with her
photographs right, so I haven't gotten it online yet. However, if you
think it will help I'd be glad to send it by email. The photographs
just won't be in right places.

Hmmm. Are you looking for clothes for an infant? Or are you looking
for clothing for an older child? If the former, there is a file in
this section babies-msg which might help you with a number of things,
especially with camping with babies.

If your new child is older, then there are a number of other files in
this section which might be of use, depending upon the child's age,
such as:
toys-msg          (63K)  7/20/99    Period and SCA toys.
Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K)  8/30/99    "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady
Margritte
                                        of Ravenscroft.

Stefan
--------