[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 10, Issue 15 - Children's Clothing Question

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 18:05:50 PST 2007

You can use commercial children's patterns...
or even "costume" patterns...

We came in when he was 4 and I only had to make
tunics ever few years... cause I made them big-ish
and long-ish...

once he hit 10ish I put in 3 to 4 inch hems...
used sturdy cotton material... and good trim/cloth as trim
and they lasted until he wanted specific clothing...
he still has and uses some of them from his early teens...

L DeerSlayer

Sandra Geil <alexsandraeryn at yahoo.com> wrote: I found that a "long chemise" (Vivianne's first one was about a foot longer than she) under a modified "T" tunic (open up the front) worked very well. I only had to make 3 of the chemise part and 5 of the modified "T" tunics. When she started walking that was a whole other game - then it was pants and regular "T" tunics to match - again long "rolled" ( roll up about a half inch 3 - 4 times and tack the last roll)hems on the sleeves and legs made for decorations that could be let out for growth spurts. Now that she is almost 5 I can still get away with a "T" tunic dress but it must be PINK (yes I meant to holler)!

  Good luck with the stitching :)

  "New mom here. What are some good sources for children's clothing in period? I know it tended to be utilitarian (ie washable), especially early in life, but I have a new daughter who will need SCA clothes before long. Please keep in mind I am an amateur, inexperienced seamstress on my best days. Thanks for any help!

HL Genevieve"