[Ansteorra] Rude behavior

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 21 07:57:01 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 4:54 PM, Baronman at aol.com wrote:

> Observation from an old man
> First- what group in our fair kingdom does this Joshua play- or is
> he even
> from our kingdom? Has anyone actually meet this individual?
> Second - in the several postings he has made, he has managed to
> bring out
> some very emotional responses from people that have not been
> beneficial to  the
> forum.
> Third- it seems that it is time for the moderator of the list to
> make sure
> that it all stops- NOW
>
> My gut feeling is that this Joshua is a nome de plume for some one
> else.
>
> No title- just tired - Bors
> Those that know me- know who I am
> Those who don't know me, probably don't care.

With few reservations, I stand with Bors on this. I've been a list
moderator (both within and outside of the SCA) for almost as long as
there have been such a thing as email lists. I've seen many, *many*
"list trolls" come and go. And, frankly, these postings from "Joshua"
bear *all* the earmarks of "list trolling" (a.k.a. "flame bait").
Several of us have answered the troll's call and risen to the bait. I
agree with Bors that it's past time to stop.

"Joshua" (taking at face value that's who you really are), please do
us all (most of all yourself) a kindness: stop posting here until
you've taken some of the good advice that's been offered, and meet
with some folks in person to pursue your proclaimed interest in the
SCA. You've been given links to local group meetings, individual
contact info, personal email addresses, etc. -- please use them. If
your posts simply have the unintended and unfortunate appearance of
"trolling", then please stop until you can get squared away with
someone in person. Until/unless you meet with someone in person, you
aren't going to learn very much about how to pursue our hobby anyway.

On the other hand, if your posts really are just "trolling", then
please go away. (Not that any troll I've ever encountered has ever
done that, but I figure it's still worth trying a polite request first.)

As for the rest of us: don't feed the troll. Whether the "trolling"
is intentional or unintentional, "just say no".

My $.02.

Michael