[Ansteorra] Question 2/22

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 07:43:12 PST 2007

> 1. In your opinion when is it appropriate to use Titles, Station, or
> Office on a list when signing an e-mail?

About ten years ago I signed all my posts & e-mails "Kat" and it was
enough. Everyone knew it was me. :) It seemed apropos for a mundane
forum such as this.

At some point, though, a "southern" Kat turned up and things got a bit
more confusing. Especially when we both had grants and donned armor.
(very cool!) :)

Then came a whole flock of "Cat, Kat, Catriona" types and I began
adding my surname (Kat MacLochlainn) to the mix for clarity. Then came
the "Cats" from "Lochlainn" (insert long suffering sigh of despair) and
suddenly including my point of origin (Wiesenfeuer) became essential.

Except that we now have at least 3 "Kat from Wiesenfeuer" types running
around.  Now I simply must sign things "Kat MacLochlainn, from
Wiesenfeuer."

I'm often thinking how much simpler life would be if I just signed
things "Countess Kat", but you know... can't have folks thinking I'm
arrogant... (er, more arrogant)...

Seriously, when did using titles become such a means of judging people
(i.e. their motives, their respectability)? I remember very clearly
from my earliest days that *everyone* used their titles. We didn't even
think of *not* doing it. It put us "in the game" so to speak.

It wasn't a grandiose "gesture of respect" so it wasn't necessary to
examine the person to determine whether or not *we* thought they
deserved our respect. They had titles and we used them, end of story.
The titles were an extention of their names.  It was kinda cool. :)

> 2. In your opinion when is it appropriate to list Household
> affiliation or Championships, etc on a list when signing an e-mail?

Heh, I only list household affiliation when I'm sure I won't embarrass
them. And now being part of Wolfstar, that is a *very* hard thing to
do...(thank God).

Kat(rionna) MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer
House Wolfstar