[Ansteorra] question 2/22

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 07:53:05 PST 2007

I think this is a classic case of the broader
phenomenon of Texan egalitarianism being carried over
into the SCA.  There seems to be a "Just because you
are a _______ doesn't mean you're better than me"
mentallity in Ansteorra.  This leads, of course, to
"Just because I'm a _________ doesn't mean I'm better
than you".  Being a big fan of egalitarianism
mundanely, I sympathize with this position.

In Trimaris, where I originally come from, an AOA, by
tradition, conferred the right to wear a circlet.
Many a mere lord or lady would not have been caught
dead in the hall without his or her circlet on.  Here
it seems that not a few dukes and duchesses feel it
would be pretentious to wear the strawberry leave
other than at court.

The fact is, the period we recreate was deeply
socially stratified (in most times and places).  We
try to celebrate the virtues that nobility, at its
best, entailed.  Ideally, we give awards to those who
embody those virtues, and grant the holders of those
awards regalia and titles so that we humble aspirants
to nobility may know who to emulate.  Few awards are
granted that do not represent hard work and virtue.
Anyone who wishes to publicly proclaim their status is
not only entitled to do so, but does us a service by
helping show us the way to reach the nobility that
they have achieved.  Of course, they also must bear in
mind the obligation of that nobility to live up to the
awards they claim.  If the Duchess wants to let her
hair down, it may be appropriate that she leave her
hat off while she does so.  While no one should be
required to proclaim all of their titles at all times,
I see no reason to criticize those who do so.

All that said, I usually only include my title on
emails that are 'official' or those that are
introductory.  If I am exchanging emails with someone,
signing the fourth reply with 'Lord' might seem a bit
pretensious.  Most list posts I just sign Laszlo
(wouldn't want anyone to think I was uppity about my
AOA).

My thoughts,

Lord Fatthiopap Laszlo
Orbis Herald