[Ansteorra] Question for SCAdian moving to the Houston area

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Sat Feb 24 16:06:48 PST 2007

Amy Adams wrote:

>Ummm,
>
>Not specifically.
>
>I will be working down in Texas Medical Center at
>Memorial Hermann Childrens.
>
>However, if I get it right, that is a VERY expensive
>part of town.
>
>I am wanting something that is possibly a bit further
>out, but has relatively good access to roads or
>Park-n-Rides in.
>
>YIS,
>Irina

Medical Center, Museum District, Rice Universtiy, West Univeristy Place,
Rice Village.
Yeah, houses are pretty pricey, apartments are steep for nice ones.

Reasonbly easy access for houses, look south off of 288 outside of loop
610, or off the Sam Houston Tollway on the south section.
Lots of new construction going in there.

Clear Lake is a possibility, but a fairly slow commute at rush hour (6Am
to 10 AM, inbound)

Short term  nice (6 months while you get a house) apartments, there are
a number of high rise apartments in Downtown, that would let you use
MetroRail into the Medical Center, but these are pricey.

Park-n-ride :   Several options, depending on how long you want to spend
on the bus.
Shortest would be the Gessner facility, off of South 59 and Westpark.

Older neighborhoods, little new construction, but some pretty nice
areas, and aprtments galore, ranging from luxury to hellholes.
I'm in the middle of that area.

David Gallowglass