[Ansteorra] To title or not to title

Elizabeth Ellis weavedog91 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 24 19:59:26 PST 2007

I learned my lesson about awards and associated titles/regalia a long time ago. Here's the story: After many years of playing in the SCA I recieved an Iris; however, because I am a bit on the shy and retiring side I would not wear it because I thought it was a form of self bragging and was afraid it would draw too much attention.  Boy did that backfire in embarrassing ways! I ended up  getting gently reprimanded for not wearing a ribbon because the Crown later saw some of my work and spent some time investigating whether I'd been recognized for it.  They were not especially happy to learn that I'd already received the award to two reasons -  by not wearing the emblem it gave the appearance of not valuing the award, and it wasted time the Crown could have spent investigating the other worthy people.  This perspective made perfect sense once it was presented to me.  As a consequence, I believe it applies to monikers as well.

  Mistress Corrinne