[Ansteorra] Keep those hands warm!

Chiara Francesca chiara.francesca at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 22:01:37 PST 2007

Alrighty, had a few emails from folks asking for the glove pattern that Dyan
and I used for the kids mitten class. It is a pattern for adults as well as
kids. :)

Here is one of three patterns we used to base it off of:
http://tinyurl.com/6fb98

This is what it looks like when done:
http://tinyurl.com/2dmgk7

As far as we can tell these are very similar in cut to the Merovingian boy's
mittens.
(There are several fragments of leather mittens.  Two such mittens, found in
a boy's grave in Cologne Cathedral, were stitched over the whole hand
surfaces in lines that formed a lattice.  Doppelfeld, Otto. "Das frankische
Knabengrab unter dem Chor des Kolner Comes" in "Germania" 42, 1964,
156-188.)

If you have a copy of Boucher's book look for it on page 161.
Here is a link to a period mitten for embelishment
ideas.http://www.glove.org/gallery/elizmit.php