[Ansteorra] Marshalling pole challenge

Galen Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 30 14:50:58 PST 2007

Robin Lindsey wrote:

>The Other Scenario, which happened to me many, many moons ago, is when you
>need to use the pole to keep from getting run over in the melee.  I was
>marshalling and the fighters were getting to the edge of the world and I
>guess they didn't hear me hollering at them.  I pushed the pole out with
>some force and I know I hit a couple of fighters, and got knocked down
>anyways.  So:  You could potentially be whacking fighters with your
>marshall's pole.   I'd MUCH rather get hit with rattan....  Wouldn't you?
>
>Moira
>Who had to give up marshalling, for now.

Not necessarily.  I have been hit with both and the difference hasn't
been all that significant in my experience.   In fact, while the
hardwood is a bit more inflexible and hits "harder", the rattan tends to
wrap around and leave a larger suface area bruise. In most instances the
problem with hardwoods isn't getting hit by them initially, it is the
nice sharp pointy ends you tend to get stuck with _after_ they break.

Galen K.