[Ansteorra] SCA in the News, Vol. 1, Issue 19

Blair Frodelius blair at frodelius.com
Wed Jul 4 09:36:52 PDT 2007

_*SCA in the News: Volume 1, Issue 19 - June 12-July 4, 2007*__*
*_ _*
Middletown's Middle Ages
<http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070627/MIDSTATE03/706270312/-1/NEWS01>*_
Midstate Living, Delaware
"I love the freedoms involved in being an American right now. I was not
born in the wrong century. I'm just one of those people who are
constantly curious," says Boyser, who has explored many of the crafts
and "gentle arts and sciences" of the SCA."
**
*_Club That Re-Enacts Middle Ages Celebrating Anniversary_*
<http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0628phx-sca0630.html>_
<http://www.faireinthegrove.com/>_
AZCentral.com, Arizona
"At the time I joined 23 years ago, I was working a lot and my doctor
told me to find a hobby to get rid of stress," Alger said. "I found
this. A few months later I went back to the doctor and he asked, 'What
are you doing? Basketball? Football?' I said 'No, I'm dressing in armor
and beating on my friends with sticks.' Not what he had in mind but it
worked."
*
**_Medieval Organizations Emphasize Combat, Ways of Life_*
<http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/media/storage/paper818/news/2007/06/26/Fyi/Medieval.Organizations.Emphasize.Combat.Ways.Of.Life-2918399.shtml>
Iowa State Daily, Iowa
Nine-year member Christina Kitson, known in the SCA as Xristiana
Bogardus, said the term "recreate" is preferred because there are
certain aspects of the medieval time period intentionally omitted, such
as slavery, sexism and lack of bathing.

_*Alamogordo's Own Lord of the Rings
<http://www.alamogordonews.com/features/ci_6285522>*_
Alamogordo Daily News, New Mexico
The two most common weaves are the basic European, known as a
four-in-one weave (four rings onto every one ring) and the king's weave,
known as an eight-in-one weave (eight rings onto every one ring). Other
weaves that Winsor has mastered are the Byzantine, gridlock and Persian,
the latter having six or seven different weaves within the overall
pattern itself.

_*
<http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2186&Itemid=99>*_*/_Fun
link of the week_/**  Interactive British History Timeline:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/timelines/british/index.shtml*
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/timelines/british/index.shtml>
*/_Video of the week_/* **Medieval Animatic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHa5hzPbDqE***

***** <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHa5hzPbDqE>
/SCA in the News courtesy of Gyles de Blair
<http://www.manor.frodelius.com>, //Barony of Delftwood
<http://www.delftwood.org/>, Kingdom of Aethlemearc
<http://www.aethelmearc.org>/