[Ansteorra] OT?: SCA baby

Jennifer Dudley jen at clancircle.com
Tue Jul 10 09:02:17 PDT 2007

For the first few years of my daughter's life, she and I would go to events
alone.  I made sure that I had friends to share a pavilion with so that I
didn't have to cart that around.  I didn't travel as much and usually went
to local events and didn't camp with her until she was 3 and I was sure she
would sleep thru the night and wouldn't disturb other campers.  If I knew I
was working at that event, she either helped me or I had a friend watch her,
or she stayed home with daddy who didn't mind that either.  I made good
friends with a couple who had a child that age and shared duties.  Now that
my lord attends events with me again, we tag team.  I never carried a play
pen or stroller with me, since I liked to sit under the pavillion with my
baby and let her play on a large blanket.  many people in the SCA like to
"steal babies" (to get their baby fix) so I always got a break.

Make sure that you do bring your children so that they learn at the toddler
age what behavior is appropriate.  Play the "hold" game when they can walk
and listen.  It's kind of light red light green light, but you tell them
hold, so they learn what that means around list fields.  My 4 yr old has
learned to be quiet during court (even though she complains about sitting
there), but I make sure she knows that everyone goes to court and is quiet
and listens.  She is also getting into archery now so goes and stays with me
at the range, and is learning the rules for behavior there.

YIS,
Lady Brenna MacDonald
Westgate