[Ansteorra] Question on: weaving finishes

Gwynafwy Sinclaire gwynafwy26 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 14:32:14 PDT 2007

Thank you very much for the suggestions.  It is for Tablet/Card weaving and inkle.

  Gwyn

"Haraldr Bassi (Ansteorra lists)" <ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org> wrote:
  You don't mention the style of weaving. If it is tablet woven, you can
use a technique of dropping cards every few turns, weaving normally.
This creates a narrowing tapered tongue at the end of the belt.
Depending on the style of the threading would determine where in the
pack of cards you would be dropping the cards out. You would want to
either cut the ends of the warp at the fell or bring them out and back
across as the weft during the tapering. I don't know there is any one
true way to finish a belt, however cutting things as you go doesn't
leave you much room to change your mind should you not like the results,
please think it through before cutting things.

In contrast you can always end the weaving, cut it, hem stitch it to
hold the ends together and use a metal belt end to protect the cut end.

If it's a flat weaving narrow work project, like modern inkle weaving or
some other form of rigid heddle style weaving, you could use a similar
taper but would want to incorporate the edge warps as the wefts of the
taper, bringing them in from both sides simultaneously, trimming them
can wait until after you are done with the taper but no sooner than
after they have passed through at least one to three weft throws.

The taper thing can be practiced on scrap warp before you do it for real
at the end of a long belt project :)

Haraldr Bassi, Bjornsborg (formerly Frosted Hills, East)