[Ansteorra] Sleeping sitting up vs lying down

Lisa Sawyer ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:55:31 PDT 2007

Greetings all,

 I was watching a documentary the other day and something that was mentioned
as a passing comment has bothered me so I thought I'd put it out to everyone
here to see if you have heard of it.

The documentary was about underground structures and tunnels (Cities of the
Underworld) and they were in a barracks that was built underground in a fort
near Philadelphia (I think). The underground bunker was built
pre-Revolutionary War and was equipped with bunk beds. The host commented
that the beds were so short because people were shorter back then. The guide
corrected him and said that it was because people used to sleep sitting up
because it was "healthier". Sleeping laying down didn't become the standard
until around the late 1800s and early 1900s. That was why the beds were so
short, not because people were shorter.

I've never heard that before...has anyone else? I've heard that some people
slept propped up on pillows but I don't think that is any different than
today.

Thanks!
Ysabeau