[Ansteorra] Short or tall? was Sleeping sitting up vs lying down

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:53:57 PDT 2007

Salut cozyns,

The doorways were made short so that you had to stoop to enter. It's a
defensive design element. Invaders would find it hard to rush to the attack
while bending over to get through the door.

I think I saw this question of height in the Middle Ages come up at least
once in every medieval lit class I ever took. The height differences through
the ages typically end up getting blown out of proportion (no pun intended).
Here's one of the more succinct summaries of recent findings:

>From http://www.heightsite.com/4_tallest/4_tall-history.htm

Tall Medieval Men

There's a frequently-encountered assumption that the average height of
humans has grown steadily taller as the centuries have progressed. However,
studies have shown that the average height of a population is related to
general health and economic well-being, which is affected by such factors as
climate changes, the growth of cities, war and population cycles. Thus,
average height fluctuated throughout history.

And it turns out medieval men weren't a whole lot shorter, on average, than
men of the new millennium. A recent study conducted at Ohio State
University, based on skeletal data from 30 previous studies, reveals that
men living during the 9th to 11th centuries had an average height of about 5
feet 8 inches.

Average height then steadily declined until it reached a low point of 5 feet
5.5 inches in the 17th and 18th centuries, rising again through the 19th
century and only reaching prior heights in the first half of the 20th
century. An article on the study by Richard Steckel appears in the Social
Science History journal.

According to the feature by Jennifer Warner at WebMD, Dr. Steckel noted that
"Average height is a good way to measure the availability and consumption of
basic necessities such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care, and
exposure to disease." Frequent wars and a rise in the spread of deadly
diseases impacted population health and height, as well.

Today, average height in American men is about 5 feet 9 inches and in
American women 5 feet 4 inches. According to a study completed in 2002 (see
the article by John Carvel at the Guardian), Britons have similar average
heights, while most Europeans are an inch or two shorter. The exception is
the Dutch, who are about three inches taller than Brits and Americans.

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)