[Ansteorra] persona fans

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 11 23:24:06 PDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 11:56 AM, willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

> Having something in your hand or getting a new prop gives you
> something to talk about. For Ladies in the latter periods fan were
> more than something to cool yourself off with. Fans were common
> gifts given to you by your admirers.  A fancy fan attracts
> attention and allows to discuss where and when you got the fan.
> Here is a site for latter period fans.  Please remember this style
> of fan is good for the late periods it is a question on how early
> it is.
> I have been having fun making my own. I can't believe that fans
> went out of existence in the Byzantine area. They were there during
> roman time. The weather didn't change.
> I have been using my printer and getting period paintings and
> putting them on my fan. I have discovered that pizza boxes do quite
> well just glue two layers together.
> willow

"Here is a site for latter period fans." Huh? Your Grace, did you
mean to include a web link? I don't see any info about a site.

There is this file in the ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium:
fans-msg           (5K)  6/ 9/04    Use of folding fans in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/fans-msg.html

As you can see, it is a rather small file. I've not seen much
evidence for fans in medieval Europe. I'd love to have more
information. Or if there is someone who has written an article on
such fans, or would be interested in doing so, I'd love to add it to
the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas