[Ansteorra] Short or tall? was Sleeping sitting up vs lying down

April Page alpage1225 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 14:09:15 PDT 2007

When I was in high school (eons and eons ago) the Museum of Natural Science in Washington, DC had an exhibit on the differences in height between ancient and modern man.  I remember this because being the short person I am, according to the exhibit I was considered average/tall for a Roman woman at exactly five feet.

  That is not to say that there were not tall people long ago.  My great-great-great-grandfather, who came to the States from England in 1850, was seven feet tall (and obviously passed along a recessive gene for height).  When he was buried, his grave threw off the next row in the cemetery.

  Ly. Elizabeth Seale

Chelsea Durham <baby_sis_83 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  If the medieval doorway at the Cloisters in New York City is any indication,
I would have to say that they were shorter than their modern counterparts.
I'm 5'4" and I was taller than the doorway. If in fact it is true that the
Medieval people were shorter than modern people, it's likely because of
malnutrition. The women were short if they had children at a young age. If a
woman has a child before she stops growing, her bones will fuse and growth
will stop. (That is something I learned in biology so don't shoot me, shoot
the book) however it's something I've also observed in dogs and cats.

-Lady Grainne Kathleen NicPadraig MacDaniel
None is deceived but he who trusts too much.