[Ansteorra] Short or tall? was Sleeping sitting up vs lying down

Sir Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 17:38:47 PDT 2007

I'd like to suggest a few things that back up the evidence shown by Sir
Lyonel.  A bit of anecdotal evidence..  I have a friend from Cuba.  He has
11 brothers and sisters all to the same parents.  6 were born in Cuba when
the parents were very impoverished, and the children had notabley worse
nutrition in their formative years.  The boys are all under 5'7" and the
girls all under 5'1".  The 6 children that were born in Miami after the
family had been there 2 years and had financially prospered, the boys all
over 6' and the girls all over 5'7".  Anecdotal for certain, but still,
interesting.

On another note, the average height for Japanese men at the time of World
War 2 was shorter than the average western European man.  In just a few
generations, they've passed European men and are nearly the same as American
men.  This is far from enough time for genetic change on an evolutionary
scale.  Lyonel's historical timeline shows ebbs and flows.  I'd bet that
those could be traced to general economic trends as well as some indicators
in nutritional values if it were plotted together.  Just my thought.

Respectfully,
Morgan