[Ansteorra] Help with a project

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Jul 17 21:00:53 PDT 2007

One of the non-Chirurgeon things I witnessed convinced me I wanted to be
part of the SCA and, particularly, part of the Barony of Elfsea.

I had attended several Elfsea and Steppes fighter practices because my sons
were interested. I heard of a Passage of Arms event that was to be held at a
park in Arlington. It was a bitterly cold day with a medium wind.

Those who wanted to be on the Baronial Guard signed up on a list. Others
could fight. Baron Llwelyn watched each candidate carefully and made notes
as the day went on. As night fell we assembled in a mostly open pavilion
with a fireplace. A fire was started and the Baron and Baroness positioned
their throne chairs opposite the fire so their populace could enjoy the
heat. After some preliminaries, the Baron stood and called each candidate
fighter (and I believe the others also) into court. For each he told them of
something they did that was wonderful or how they had improved in this or
that skill or praised their chivalry with examples of why. Each of those
people left the Baron with a smile on their faces and a fire in their heart.
He announced those who had been chosen, thanked the Autocrat, water bearers,
and many others.

I went away wanting to be part of an organization that knew how to do what
he had done that day. I wanted to learn to do the same when I too became a
leader in the group.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede

ansteorra-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
  Cheri Hodek wrote:
Greetings unto the Great People of Ansteorra,

Help is needed for a project for a friend. If you could post your favorite
SCA story. This can be a "no crap there I was", something special to you or
what the SCA means to you.

Most humblest of Thanks,

Muirenn inghean Chonaill
Eldern Hills