[Ansteorra] Things I have seen

Galen Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 9 11:17:09 PDT 2007

willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

>Mistress Hillary has mentioned youth awards. I don't believe in them. I believe that young people who have worked along with the adults should be given the same awards as adults. Young people like Baron Master Edwin who was 15 when he started in pre kingdom Ansteorra made us what we are. I was 18 when I joined.  I was 23 when I started organizing my part of early Ansteorra. Two of the young men that kept the Steppes alive had just turned 21 when I got here. The Baroness of Wisenfer was working on events as an important part of our teams when she was 8. We need to treat the people who are working shoulder to shoulder with us as our equals. Not give them junior awards.
>willow

Your Grace, I don;t think words exits to express how much I agree with
you on this point.

I have no problems with youth awards for separate youth activities (such
as youth tournaments, etc.), but if a youth is doing adult work, as so
many of them do, then a youth should receive adult awards.    I also
have misgivings about separating out youth competitions simply because
of age.   Some of the best bardic presentations I have seen/heard have
been from young participants.  Why should they be relegated to a youth
competition rather than standing with (and besting) the adults?

And contrary to the popular well meant saying, the youth are _not_ our
future.   They are very much our _present_, just as is everyone else.

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer