[Ansteorra] Keeping the Dream Persona questions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 11 21:14:10 PDT 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 9:58 PM, Isobel de Kirkbryde wrote:

> I know very few people who have woven their own cloth and/or hand
> sewn their own garments.

Well in the 12th century Stefan wouldn't have woven the cloth or
sewed it himself. That is what serfs, tradesman and household are for.

> As the Guild Head for the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, we
> recognize that many of the assistance devices for folks who are
> differently abled are not period.

What guild is this. Is it regional, kingdom or Society-wide?

> It is our goal to find ways to play that appear more period by
> doing the research that Duchess Willow is talking about.  For
> example:  It may seem like a silly thing, but I researched the
> types of collars that dogs wore in the middle ages.

I've been promised an article for the Florilegium on period dog
collars by several people, but so far nothing has shown up. So if
you've written such an article or are feeling adventuresome...

> Once I found that, I then began my quest to find one that met the
> requirements of being orange for my hearing dog but was also period
> style.  I found it and purchased it.  Now, my hearing dog wears
> garb right along with me.  It was fun researching it and it is fun
> explaining it to others.  I think this is one point Duchess Willow
> is trying to make.

Yep. Anyone seen my small white dog and his wooden wagon?

> Yes, I have a cell phone at events.  Up until, the middle of May I
> had a minor child who was old enough to find his own activities to
> wander around to (he was 17).  But, if there was an emergency, I
> wanted him to be able to reach me.  Milord husband usually has an
> amateur radio with him, but it is hidden in the car.  When the
> weather gets threatening, he can find out if it is going to be
> dangerous or just inconvenient.

Thank you for both the radio, which can really make a difference at
some events such as Waterlord :-) and for keeping it hidden.

> What I really miss from my first introduction to the SCA 20 years
> ago vs. when I finally was able to join 4 years ago is the chivalry
> and I'm not talking about on the battle field.  I mean the genteel-
> ness and respect that was practiced which made the SCA so magical
> for me.  I'd like to see us teaching manners and courtesy to our
> newcomers.  I can overlook the garb that isn't quite right a whole
> lot easier when folks are courteous and nice to each other.

This is a good reminder for all of us. In the rush of things
sometimes it is something easily forgotten. And yes, it is something
that needs to be taught. The outside world seems to value these
behaviors less and less and thus does not teach them.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com