[Ansteorra] "direputable"

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 12:20:10 PDT 2007

Amen Your Grace!!!!

Excellent point...

if you're portraying a thief...
don't expect to be treated like a Noble...

isn't there something in our "dream" rhetoric about
treating someone as a minor noble unless they prove otherwise...

portraying a thief/briggand/assassin is proving that you don't want to
be treated as a minor noble...

"in period" such personages wouldn't "announce themselves" as such...
it would quickly get them killed...

If you want to "play the game"... then "play the game"
if you want to be a "pirate"...
get a letter of mark and steal "legitimately"
just like they did in period...
and if they call you a "pirate" behind your back and whisper it in court...
then more's the better...

And personally I find it ABSOLUTELY OFFENSIVE that
a self proclaimed OFFICER of the ANSTEORRAN NAVY
would proclaim himself a PIRATE...and fight about it on a public forum
with one of our Duchesses... man... did you fall off the clue bus...

L DeerSlayer

"willowdewisp at juno.com" <willowdewisp at juno.com> wrote:  Two things to remember, 1)It IS called "Persona
PLAY"
2) If you insist on playing an unpopular Persona,
expect to be treated "in character" as the Persona
would have been treated.
  Then, remembering those two points, have fun playing
the game.
  If, on the other hand, you cannot stand being
treated like a criminal, during the event where you
are a pirate persona, I strongly advise you to choose
another persona.

              Ld Adm Robert Haddock:; Ansteorran Royal Navy, Ret.

 This is very important wisdom. Please remember a real ninja, pirate, highwayman, member of Robin Hoods band and anyone else who is doing something that is not approved by regular society would not go into a tavern an announce,"I am a Ninja,etc"  No real pirate would publicly claim he was a pirate.
 I remember at the first war with the Middle aka 'Willow's War". A young Caldal Lady was approach by a gentleman and look at her and said he was a Ninja. The young Lady replied in persona that she would never have anything to do with an assassin. I don't approval of pirate in persona, but I didn't look askance at my sons going a Viking. Also I don't ask questions when people come into my port with strange objects.
If a person is doing something illegal it is normal for him/her to not put it out in the open. This can also be if you are running with people who normally wouldn't travel with you. For example, you are a Finn traveling with a bunch of Norsemen. I have a lot of respect for personas who quietly show what they are without announcing it.
Willow