[Ansteorra] Alternate personas

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 08:55:54 PDT 2007

> Some years ago, I entered a tournament as "Farmer Jack", a
> peasant with no knowledge of chivalric traditions.  While it
> was great fun, it was far more restrictive.  I had to live by
> the rules of the list and the additional strictures of the
> peasantry, and also with the fact that all actions would be
> remembered as something Robin did.  I'm glad I did it, and I
> think most people enjoyed it, but it was an intense
> experience I couldn't manage very often.
>
> But Willow and I have one advantage that many others don't --
> we are already well-known.  If people see you in your
> alternate persona before they know you well, then that's the
> one they'll remember.  I don't recommend an alternate persona
> for anyone until their main one already has a strong reputation.

Also in your favor, my much-esteemed friend Robin, was the deliciously
alternative format of said tournament with the strong preference for
"peasant weapons".  It was clear to all concerned that this was a
play-day, and "Farmer Jack" was there to play most heartily and
thoroughly.

Was actually thinking just recently about some of those delightful
weapons you created, after seeing HE Galen of Bristol at a memorial
service for a fallen SCA member (remember that I'm still seriously "on
the road", in Ayreton, Midrealm -- until Friday, at the least).

While certainly not so well known as either Robin or Willow, I have also
dabbled in alternate personae from time to time over the years.  It is
still most likely that I will register at gate using my primary persona,
and answer to the name of Amra (or some earlier form, particularly
probable if some old friends are present).  Sometimes, I have been known
to utilize an alternate strictly as a nom de plume, particularly when
advancing a position or alternative that I wish to segregate from my
"normal" stance.  (OR, especially, if there are strong emotions
involved, to try and improve the chance that the idea be given a "fair"
hearing segregated from any prejudices that might be applied due to the
idea coming from a previously known source... Never something I do
lightly, I assure you all, and not anything I have done recently.)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen