[Ansteorra] A Culture for the Children

Lord Pooky lord_pooky at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:09:34 PDT 2007

Good and Loving Willow ~ Mother of Namron,

My good friend Baroness Anghared mentioned to me, people were talking on the
Ansteorra List about our children. I joined this list a couple days ago.

If You Dearest Mother, would afford me 10 days to transfer thought to the
pushing of a pebble, I will seek the counsel of a friend and then describe a
new culture that we might create for all of our youths.

All be in eager anticipation! One day those under 18 might walk The King's
Roads to maturity.

9.995 days and counting, ;^ ))

Pooky de Panacea

>Mistress Hillary has mentioned youth awards. I don't believe in them. I
>believe
that young people who have worked along with the adults should be given the
same
awards as adults. Young people like Baron Master Edwin who was 15 when he
started in pre kingdom Ansteorra made us what we are. I was 18 when I
joined.  I
was 23 when I started organizing my part of early Ansteorra. Two of the
young
men that kept the Steppes alive had just turned 21 when I got here. The
Baroness
of Wisenfer was working on events as an important part of our teams when she
was
8. We need to treat the people who are working shoulder to shoulder with us
as
our equals. Not give them junior awards.
>willow

Your Grace, I don;t think words exits to express how much I agree with
you on this point.

I have no problems with youth awards for separate youth activities (such
as youth tournaments, etc.), but if a youth is doing adult work, as so
many of them do, then a youth should receive adult awards.    I also
have misgivings about separating out youth competitions simply because
of age.   Some of the best bardic presentations I have seen/heard have
been from young participants.  Why should they be relegated to a youth
competition rather than standing with (and besting) the adults?

And contrary to the popular well meant saying, the youth are _not_ our
future.   They are very much our _present_, just as is everyone else.

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer