[Ansteorra] hiding mundane

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Jun 13 07:43:28 PDT 2007

"Scholar" isn't a title.  It's a common English word meaning somebody in
school or somebody studying.  Even when it denotes a specific position
(such as the lowest of four ranks in the London Masters of Defense), nobody
would ever use it as a title.  If it was ever used as a title, it slipped
by me (and by the Oxford English Dictionary).

There are social titles, like Lord / Lady, Duke / Duchess, Mr. / Ms., etc.
There are vanishingly few professional titles like "Doctor", Professor",
etc.  But most professions don't have titles.  Therefore most people only
have a social title, not a professional one.

A student would not be called "Scholar Johnson", for the same reason he
wouldn't be called "Sophomore Johnson", "English-Major Johnson", "Halfback
Johnson", "Commuter Johnson" or any other form of a common English word
used as a title.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin