[Ansteorra] hiding mundane

David Whitford dbw6969 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 09:29:01 PDT 2007

--- Michael Silverhands <silverhands at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> A ship's captain might be introduced as "Captain
> So-and-so",
> especially if he was a "ranked officer of military
> forces". Captain
> of a private or merchant vessel, I'm less sure of.
> Probably not.

Not sure what the real difference would be but-have
also seen refernce to a ships master in a context that
lead me to think that it was the same as captain.

> A "ranked officer of military forces" would probably
> be introduced
> using their rank, but in those cases it would be
> easy to tell that
> you should because they'd be wearing their military
> dress uniform. If
> they're in their "civies", you probably wouldn't use
> their rank
> unless the introduction was being made to another
> military person in
> an informal setting. But that's not the setting
> we're discussing, so
> that's not terribly relevant. ;-)

Most military rank as we know it was little used if at
all in period-the Romans were very structured the rest
of Europe much less so.

> Ministers of government (e.g. Minister of Defense)
> don't usually go
> around being introduced as "Minister of Defense
> So-and-so" today, and
> I suspect they wouldn't be in court, either. If they
> had a noble
> title, such as "Lord So-and-so" in addition to their
> post within the
> government, then that title would be used. I.e.,
> they'd be introduced
> as "Lord So-and-so". Or if for some reason you
> wanted those present
> to know that they were Minister of Defense (e.g. a
> public speaking
> engagement), you might throw that in, e.g. "Lord
> So-and-so, the
> Minister of Defense".

It seems most "Ministers" as it were usually were
known as being on the "Council" for their respective
crown and having aposition within said council.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_(manner_of_address)>.

> Michael

Robert