[Ansteorra] Things I have seen

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 09:00:58 PDT 2007

Maybe it isn't always a black and white issue of a Crown choosing to
give a child a Rising Star *instead* of an AoA.

I can only speak from my experiences (both as a former Crown and as a
Royal Scribe who sat in on many deliberations regarding award
decisions), but I'm pretty sure no Crown intends to minimalize a young
person's contributions by giving them less recognition than they are
due.  Most of the time they just give the award they were asked to
give.

Sometimes, yes, a child is recommended for an AoA who doesn't have a
Rising Star, yet they've truly shown a more mature level of service
than typically required for the children's award.  The Crown might then
still cover their bases by asking someone close to that child whether
or not the child would prefer a Rising Star. It is unwise to assume
that just because a kid has done awesome AoA level service that they
don't want a Rising Star.

Strange as the concept may be, some kids actually *want* and work for
the Rising Star. They've seen other kids receive it and it seems a
really cool thing (it comes with insignia, which an AoA does not). I'd
venture to say some young children would prefer a shiny medallion to
the knowledge that they now outrank some of their friends.  Some of
them just want what they've come to view as the "norm" from watching
everyone else.

I know quite a few people who never received an AoA because they
received another AoA level award too quickly. They all say they really
wish they'd been given their AoA because, for them, that is a "first
step" that defines someone in the SCA.

Is it not remotely possible that a young person might see the Rising
Star as the same kind of "first step" - and that they might actually
feel they missed out on an important Ansteorran rite of passage if they
never receive one?

I really think, on those occasions when a Crown decides to give a
Rising Star instead of an AoA, it probably isn't a statement that
service from a young person is somehow "lesser." It is far more likely
to be because they realize that an AoA will always be there regardless
of a person's age.  The chance to receive a Rising Star will not.

Kat MacLochlainn
Wiesenfeuer