[Ansteorra] Involvement in the Guild

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 15:16:18 PDT 2007

Lady Isobel,

What I don't understand about your guild is...
the duplication of effort.

The SCA already has a mechanism to help newcomers
imperfect though it is...

It seems to me that your efforts would be better served to
uphold the structure of the SCA rather than section people
off from it by having this "Guild"...

Could you please explain?

L DeerSlayer

L DeerSlayerm et al,

I believe Elizabetta's explanation covers most of this.  And, saying why have a Guild when the SCA provides a mechanism begs the question of why have households when the SCA provides a mechanism of fellowship.  The answer is because people need to feel comfortable where they are and with folks of like mind.

"Hiding" mundanity is only a small piece of the Guild's purpose.  Providing a sounding board; brainstorming to solve problems; and coming together in a way that helps those of us who have chronic pain, chronic disabilities, auto immune disorders, etc., to be able to find each other for support, encouragement and ways to be able to truly PLAY in the SCA instead of it being a drag and a hassle is the Guild's primary purpose.

Personally, I have made friends throughout the Knowne World I otherwise would not have made had it not been for the Guild.  We are open to anyone who has chronic problems or who are caregivers of those with chronic problems.  Sometimes the caregivers get tired too and need to have someone who understand what that is like to share the burden, lighten the burden and allow them to participate more fully in the SCA.

Just as no one is required to join the Brewer's Guild, the Cook's Guild or any household in the SCA, no one is required to join the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis.  But, we are here for you if you want our help and support.

Blessings,

Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde leanbh a Úna
Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra
V-Scribe Canton of Skorragardr
Deputy Northern Regional Scribe
Member of Clann Lochlan
Member of Clann Haddock