[Ansteorra] Speaking of Persona

Lady Valkyrie lady-valkyrie at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 19 15:33:09 PDT 2007

Congrats!  I spent a summer in Visby, and attended Medieval Week while I
was there excavating over in Frojel (too tired to mess with umlauts).
It is very fun, and I think you will have a blast - it is incredible to
be present at an event where the cars and street signs feel more
anachronistic than the environment and celebrants.  There are a lot of
lovely places to eat (though Visby can be expensive as it is a vacation
spot) and people from all over Europe :).  I miss it a lot and wish I
could be there this year.

However, not everyone is strictly 1288 there.  I have seen many in the
earlier Viking period clothing, as well as the usual barbarians and
fantasy creatures you see whenever there is public historical
reenactments of Renaissance and earlier periods.  The SCAdians keep
themselves fairly period for the most part - but there are so many
groups.  Other people wear late period garb as well.  There will also be
numerous merchants.  What seems to be popular is over dresses with long
sleeves (kinda droopy and bell shaped) with a different colored front
panel, with an under tunic/dress or mock underdress .  I have one dress
that I bought over there - 100% linen, of a very common style and I
believe the correct period.  It has a small decoration at the neckline
that isn't period that could easily be removed and replaced with
something that is.  If autumn colors work well on you, depending on size
- perhaps it would work for you?  I have been looking to sell/trade it...

Kris