[Ansteorra] Alternate personas

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Jun 26 08:08:00 PDT 2007

Willow wrote:

> Warning what happens in an alternate persona does not stay in an
> alternate persona

This is exactly correct.  When I was new, a highly placed noble lady had an
alternate persona of a serving wench.  I once considered treating her
correctly -- swatting her on the butt and telling her to go fetch me a
beer, and then giving her a penny.  But I never dared to do it.  I decided
that no matter how correct it would have been to treat Mary Catherine that
way on Saturday night, on Sunday morning it would be Duchess Willow who
remembered being treated so cavalierly.

Some years ago, I entered a tournament as "Farmer Jack", a peasant with no
knowledge of chivalric traditions.  While it was great fun, it was far more
restrictive.  I had to live by the rules of the list and the additional
strictures of the peasantry, and also with the fact that all actions would
be remembered as something Robin did.  I'm glad I did it, and I think most
people enjoyed it, but it was an intense experience I couldn't manage very
often.

But Willow and I have one advantage that many others don't -- we are
already well-known.  If people see you in your alternate persona before
they know you well, then that's the one they'll remember.  I don't
recommend an alternate persona for anyone until their main one already has
a strong reputation.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin