[Ansteorra] Opinions about tent

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 3 13:47:13 PST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 2:06 PM, JOHN KELLER wrote:

> Thanks for the link and info.  These look like good solid tents,
> but how do they measure up when compared to the Panthers?
>
>   Herr Wolfgang von Sachsenhausen

I don't remember that particular brand being discussed previously on
the SCA lists, however you might be interested in some of the
opinions in this file in the STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium:
tents-weather-msg (19K)  3/28/01    Various tent styles in bad weather.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tents-weather-msg.html
tents-sources-msg (57K)  3/28/01    Pavilion and canvas merchants.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tents-sources-msg.html

While that tent looks nice, I don't think it particularly has a
medieval look or contours. I'd also be a bit concerned that it is
made of nylon. Mt experience is that nylon suffers from UV exposure
and that a good canvas tent, if dried out and not allowed to mildew,
will last longer. If we could get hemp canvas (the original canvas,
compared to cotton) they would last even longer. Nylon is popular
with folks who have to carry a tents some distance because of its
lightness.

There are a number of other files in that section that might also be
of interest, such as info on what to use on the floor of your tent
and on poles and stakes, as well as suggestions on how to pitch and
even how to transport large tents. This is useful for those buying
their tents. There is even more info for those thinking about sewing
their own tents.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas