[Ansteorra] Opinions about tent

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:46:30 PST 2007

Milady,

My lord and I have debated period vs. mundane in our tents as well. We do not hunt, but would like to camp occasionally outside the SCA. The price is the factor for us at this time, however. I would gladly camp in a period style tent as the marquee types have so much more usable floor space. This being said, I would say that you and your family will be much more comfortable in a cabin style tent. My lord and I have a Browning Palisade and have found that it is most comfortable for events and would be so for camping as well. I'm not sure I could ever camp without my bed anymore! :) I cannot cut and paste web addresses for some reason, but would ask you to check out our tent at http://browningcamping.com and go to camping and then tents. The Palisade has sides high enough for us to stand up even at the sides of the tent. There is a room divider you can use if you like. We use it to separate our sleeping from living areas. In our living area we have room for a small table, two chairs, and a small garment rack and still have room to dodge each other while dressing. Our full sized bed fits into the sleeping area with night stands alongside. We store all of our equipment boxes under the bed.

With a family it is even more imperative that you have room to move around each other and, heaven forbid, the weather get nasty, either at events or while hunting, you don't fall over each other and will be able to tolerate each other after several hours or a day together in close quarters. I would warn against one of the models of cabin tents that Cabellas sells, The Wenzel Mammoth. We had several friends that bought them and all of them had major failures at a Warlord event and even after repair they collapsed at another event. The design allows water to pool on the roof of the rain fly causing massive frame failure. The dome shape of the Palisade keeps this from happening. The Palisade costs a bit more, but it is worth it, in my book.

In service,

Lyneya