[Ansteorra] I-10 through Houston this weekend - possible detour option

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 15:16:24 PST 2007

Thanks Clara for the update.
Looks like the freeway will be closed the first weekend of war (March 12) heading *westbound* and
most war travelers will be going *eastbound*, and the last weekend of war (March 16) will be
closed *eastbound* but open *westbound*.  It seems that the directions war-travelers are going
will be open, but expect heavy traffic just the same.

However, as one who lives in this area, I can offer a detour around this intersection for those
driving through I-10 on the west side of Houston; not to far out of the way.

Use your favorite map software to pull up the intersection at 'Eldridge Rd and I-10, Houston, TX',
then pull out a bit to give a large view.
Here's a tiny link for you to use Yahoo's map system: http://tinyurl.com/2264xa

This construction will be west of both Belt-8(Sam Houston Tollway) and Loop 610, heading on I-10
from Katy toward Houston downtown.  For a clean detour, try this...

Drivers heading to Houston on I-10;
when you pass the city of Katy, start looking for these roads, you will pass by in sequence:
Grand Parkway (Hwy 99), Mason Rd., Westgreen Rd, then Fry Rd. (there maybe one more offramp road
after Fry, it's Greenhouse Rd).  After Fry (or Greenhouse)...

Exit off *Barker Cypress* and turn left under the freeway, heading North.
Go North till Clay Rd.  (approx. 3.6 miles)
Turn Right onto Clay Rd, and head east for approx. 2.6 miles.
You will cross Hwy 6 (Addicks Rd), keep on Clay Rd, heading east, another 2.5 miles till you get
to Eldridge Rd. (You will pass Bear Creek golf course and Bear Creek park)
Cross Eldridge Rd, and keep on Clay, heading east till you get to Belt-8 (Sam Houston Tollway),
approx. 2.5 miles.

Once at Belt-8, turn right, heading south, (past the Taco Cabana), you will heading back to I-10,
approx. 3.4 miles.
Get onto the Tollway, will cost you a $1.25 or $2.25 if hauling a trailer.   You can also take the
feeder if you don't want to pay, but will put you in some conjestion at the Belt-8 and I-10
intersection.   Once you get to I-10, take the overpass turning left, exiting off the tollway,
heading east, toward Houston Downtown. Then take I-10 on past Houston, toward Beaumont, home free.

Don't forget - at Baton Rouge, exit off I-10 and take I-12 on into Slidell, then north on 59 to
the campsite.

Hope that helps you bypass the Houston construction nightmares.
Cheers, Hillary

Closure of I-10 (Friday, March 9, 9pm thru Monday, March 12, 5am):