[Ansteorra] OT Pet food recall

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:49:17 PDT 2007

For those of you in the who have been at war and may not have heard about this, please note the following recall of cat and dog foods, particularly any small cans or pouches of 'cuts in gravy' style. I have come to the horrible realization that I killed my cat Ollie a few weeks ago with this food. Ollie hadn't been eating well and I thought it might have been problems with his teeth so I bought him a variety of small cans of Iams cat food. He was doing really well on them, actually starting to gain weight. One day, the store had some 'Turkey cuts in gravy', a type they hadn't had before. I picked up about 4 cans...all they had. Ollie loved it. Ate that flavor better than any of the others. Scarfed it down and licked the plate after it was gone. I interspersed that flavor with the others for a couple of days and then he stopped eating again. As that was his favorite, I gave him the last can of the cuts in gravy but he wouldn't touch it. Fortunately the other cat seemed to know that the wet food was especially for Ollie or we could have lost both of the cats. Ollie's symptoms were exactly what I have read that other cats have gone through after eating this recalled food; loss of appetite, lethargy, and vomiting. I am sure that Ollie's already weakened state made him more susceptible to the kidney failure that this food caused, but I am sick that I gave him the food that killed him, after he was showing every sign of improvement. Please make sure that you don't have any of this food in your pantry and if your pet shows any of these symptoms, get them to a vet quickly. Below is the Menu Foods recall site. The foods recalled include small cans and pouches by such names as Iams, Eukanuba, Nutro, Science Diet, Mighty Dog and many, many others. http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html Please, for the sake of your furry friends, check this site and your pantry.

Lyneya de Grey