[Ansteorra] Armor Clarifications

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:58:56 PDT 2007

*I*, and anyone in this kingdom *shall* allow a properly padded arming coat
to suffice.  Of course, I will have difficulty regulating other kingdom's
marshals.  I also would feel that leather tabs of sufficient suppleness
would serve the same purpose.  I don't feel that hardened leather, or
extremely thick pieces of leather would serve as padding.  The SEM's stated
desire for the padding is to allow for some spreading of force *and* some
progressive slowing of the blow, which requires the device to have a
reasonable amount of give.

Jean Paul

On 3/20/07, Dave Wise <drwise at houston.rr.com> wrote:

> So for a bit more clarification on #3, the leather tabs are no longer
> sufficient to supplement the camail for the top of the neck?  Also, I
> would assume that a properly padded arming coat can incorporate the
> required padding?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Alexis
>
> Jean Paul de Sens wrote:
>
> >I'll be adding this to next Months Black Star Report (May) but I wanted
> >get these clarifications from problems at war out into the populace.
> >
> >Regarding Gorgets and neck protection:
> >
> >#1) If it's metal, it does not have to be padded.
> >#2) If it's an aventail or camail, and it doesn't touch your larynx or
> spine
> >(C7 vertebrae or above) while hanging down, it does not have to be
> padded.
> >#3) If it's an aventail or camail, and it *does* touch your larynx or
> spine
> >(C7 vertebrae or above) while hanging down, it does have to have 1/4" of
> >padding on those areas.
> >#4) Leather gorgets require 1/4" of padding.
> >
> >Regarding demi-gauntlets:
> >#1) They do no have to be padded.
> >
> >Those seemed to be the major issues, and I'll post if any other ones crop
> >up.
> >
> >Jean Paul

There are no simple answers, but there are many simple questions.