[Ansteorra] Apology

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 10:53:58 PDT 2007

This is in regard to the fighter who was knocked
unconscious in the ravine battle at Gulf War.  To the
best of my knowledge, I am the fighter who struck the
blow that injured your husband.  I qualify that for
reasons that I will explain later in this missive.
Before saying anything else, I wish to apologize for
the force of my blow and any difficulties, or
deprivation of enjoyment, that this caused him.

I was fighting using an unpadded glaive right hand
forward.  I was wearing a red leather lurica, leather
skirt and green helm.  Your husband was fighting from
his knees with a spear obliquely to my right.  I had
been trying to get a shot on him for some time which,
due to his skill, proved to be very difficult.  I
waited for him to throw a shot, stepped in, laid my
glaive on top of his spear preventing him from
blocking my shot, and rotated my hips bringing the
glaive through about 20 degrees of rotation into his
head.  He began leaning forward as I made the shot,
and turned his head toward me, so my perception was
that the shot landed about on his left ear or a little
forward of it.  At the time, I felt that the shot was
solid, probably a little harder than I would have
liked, but I did not think it was excessive.  He
appeared to acknowledge my shot and I turned to fight
elsewhere.  Within a few seconds a hold was called
(for a loose piece of armor, I don't think most of us
where aware of your husbands injury at the time).
After the hold was called, I saw your husband lying on
the ground, with people standing over him calling for
a chirurgeon.  As soon as the chirurgeons were
treating him, and a marshall was available I made it
known to the marshall that I had thrown thrown the
shot, and asked about your husbands condition.  I was
greatly relieved when your husband was able to stand.
I apologized to him then and accepted his criticism
with only the comment that I did not think I had hit
him that hard and a further apology.

After the battle I did attempt to find out who your
husband was so that I could speak to him directly.
Several people assured me that he was fine and not to
worry about it.  I now regret that I did not pursue
the matter to the full extent of my ability to do so.
At no time did anyone inform me that your husband
wished to speak to me, or I surely would have sought
him out.  I was never contacted by any marshall, or
anyone else for that matter, to follow up the
incident.

 I did learn that the lames of his helmet were
crushed, which I don't really understand, I can't for
the life of me imagine how I could have hit him in the
back of the head.  It is possible that there was
another shot that I did not see which caused this
damage, but having seen no such shot, I cannot assume
that there was one.

As for the other things that you mention, I hope that
they are not true.  I fought the Japanese spear groups
on several occassions, including the 50 on 50 melee
and in the fort battle.  I found them to be very
effective spearmen, and saw no unreasonable blow
calling from them.  I heard nothing of any attempt to
target them for injury, and would be shocked to learn
of any such targeting occuring on any SCA combat field
against anyone for any reason.  I have never thrown a
blow intended to cause injury, and would not hesitate
to report to the marshalls any incident of another
fighter doing so.  Such an action would be just cause
to remove a fighters authorization at a minimum.
Likewise, I am unaware of any attempts to break
spears, and find the idea of doing so entirely
contrary to the ideals we value in the SCA.

I am deeply saddened to see you say that you are
ashamed of Ansteorra.  I hope that this will help you
feel better about us.  As a former Trimaran, I take
great pride in the accomplishments, honor, and
courtesy of both of my homes.

I would ask that you pass this on to your husband, and
if he wishes, I will be glad to contact him in any
form he desires to make my feeling clear.  I am glad
that his injury is no worse than it is.  If I may be
of further service to either of you, please let me
know how it may be done.

Ld. Fatthiopap Laszlo
known also as
Ld. Laszlo Nemanzelsky