[Ansteorra] Gulf Wars Profits was Re: New Trend flyer apology

Martha Elliff polera001 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:05:34 PDT 2007

First of all, keep in mind that any time you request more service from a
business, you WILL end up incurring more cost to yourself for using that
service.  That's basic economics.  You don't get that extra value for free.
If you price most sites for a week, you will likely find that the cost is
higher than we are paying for the GW site...and they probably wont have the
amenities you are wanting either.  Camp grounds generally don't.  That's why
it's called.....camping.  The great outdoors and all of that.

Second, it's not like the GW site has been just sitting on massive profits.
There have been improvements.  Just this year they worked extremely hard in
order to provide stalls for a higher than normal turnout of horses.  They do
ask the SCA to provide reservations so that they have an idea of how many to
provide for.  A number of those reservations were received later than they
should have been....and yet we were provided for.  I don't think the picture
of insensitive miser really fits here.

Before you start thinking that I'm the insensitive one, here's a little
story.  I have a very dear friend who is from time to time limited to a
scooter.  She was confined to the scooter for most of the war last year and
it rained a good deal.  She got stuck once, too, but a kind soul helped her
out because that's what the SCA is really about.  It's not about lawsuits,
or demanding rights.  It's about helping to make things as fun as possible
for each other...within reason.  Of course, that's what the law says, too.
Even businesses effected by laws regarding access by the handicapped only
have to comply within reason.  The GW site provides the basic amenities for
everyone.  That's classified as "within reason".  On the flip side, the site
my group uses does not.  Will we eventually?  Maybe.  That depends on how
much it will cost us to make those improvements.  In the meantime, we'll
continue helping each other make it fun.

Lady Rosalinda de Salerno