[Ansteorra] Hard hitters (was Re: Armor inspections at GulfWars)

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:07:45 PDT 2007

Salut cozyns,

If another fighter wants to take every shot that touches his or her grill,
that's fine. What I hate is that most of them want everyone else to do
likewise. The current wording in the SCA Marshal's Handbook says:

All “fully armored” fighters are presumed to be wearing a chain hauberk over
a padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg defenses and an
open-faced iron helm with a nasal. The helm may be presumed by Kingdom
convention to include a very light chain mail drape, permitting vision and
resisting cuts by the mere touch of a bladed weapon.
a. Under this standard, an acceptable cutting blow to the face would be
lighter than to other portions of the head or body. Areas deemed illegal to
strike (the wrists from 1 inch [25.4mm] above the hands, from 1 inch
[25.4mm] above the knees and below) shall be considered safe from all
attack.
b. The minimum effective thrusting blow to the face shall be a directed
touch and the maximum shall be substantially lighter than to other parts of
the body.
<<<<

That "directed touch" statement is read by some to mean any deliberate shot
to the face that touches the grill. In accordance with the standards,
however, a thrust to the face that just reaches far enough to tough the
grill without being hard enough to impart any momentum to the recipient's
helm is a thrust that never would have reached the face if the grill had not
been present. I don't know what your knight had in mind, Bors, but I teach
my squires to take shots according to the armor standard.

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)