[Ansteorra] Hard hitters

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:26:36 PDT 2007

Salut cozyns,

Her Grace Duchess Willow dit qe:

>Chain mail drape? I remember when we took that out of the rules because it
>caused confusion. Did we put it back?

Well, I can't imagine what confusion it would cause, but it's been there
since I first arrived in Ansteorra fourteen years ago. The Participant's
Handbook, Section 2. II. A says:

In judging the effect of blows, all Combatants are presumed to be fully
armored. Fully
armored is presumed protection for the purpose of acknowledging blows. A
fully armored
combatant is presumed to be wearing a lightweight, mid-arm sleeved,
mid-thigh length,
riveted mail hauberk over a padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg
defenses. An
open-faced iron Spangenhelm, with a nasal, covering the back and sides of
the head is the
standard in Ansteorra. A light, riveted, mail drape is considered to be the
only covering of the
face from just below the eyes to just below the chin.
<<<<

Pertinent to the current discussion and to show that this is not a question
of interkingdom anthropology, the Gleann Abhann Marshal's Handbook defines
Fully Armored as:

For the purposes of acknowledging blows, a fully armored fighter is presumed
to be wearing a light-weight, short sleeved, knee length, riveted mail
hauberk over a padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg defenses and
an open faced iron helm with a nasal. (The helm may be presumed to include a
very light chain mail drape --- permitting vision and resisting cuts by a
mere touch of a bladed weapon.)
<<<<

lo vostre per vos servir,
Meser Lyonel Oliver Grace