[Ansteorra] Carving Ivory

Jay Yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Mar 27 15:33:59 PDT 2007

If it's origin is Alaska, it's most likely fossil ivory which is not
regulated (unless things have changed in the last few years) ... it's
literally available for pickup off the ground in many locations
(particularly steam beds where it gets washed downstream over time).
visually it's very different from normal ivory, but works about the same.
so you would have to look at the piece being offered.

One of my old co-op members moved up there to work pipeline and switched to
ivory merchant.  He 4-wheels most of summer looking for the stuff and makes
pretty decent living.  Myself, i have a nice supply of fossil mammoth and
walrus ivory he's gifted me over the years (use it in my special jewelry
work when I have my bench in operation)

this is why scrimshaw almost died out as a art form when the source species
were regulated .. and had a overnight renaissance that coincided with the
building of the alaskan pipeline ....